Slim is correct. This Triathlon will be a Duathlon for 2011 due to the lake being drained for maintenance. This years event will be a 1.25 mile run, 10.8 mile bike, and 3.1 mile run to the finish. The bike and 5K run are the same as in the past. This is a family event and teams are allowed. See the details below. I have a registration form in Word format if anybody wants one. Just email me at PDillon64@aol.com
. I cannot say enough about what a great event this is for a worthy cause.
7th Annual Steve Speece Memorial Tri Duathlon AND Picnic!!
Date: Saturday August 6, 2011 Time: Registration: 8:30 am
Place: 4858 S Duck Creek Rd Tri Duathlon: 9:30 am
North Jackson, OH 44451 Picnic: Following Tri Duathlon
Why: To have FUN
remembering Steve, raise awareness about Pancreatic Cancer, and raise money in Steve’s memory for Pancreatic Cancer research and the Steve Speece Scholarship Fund
Ways to Participate:
1) DO THE DUATHLON! You can participate as a team or individual (see details below)
2) Cheer on Duathlon participants and enjoy the PICNIC!
3) VOLUNTEER to help with registration, duathlon logistics, or picnic!
4) DONATE to support our causes!
DETAILS OF DUATHLON:
Run1: 1.25 miles *It’s a Du!!
Bike: 10.8 miles * TEAMS are allowed!!
Run2: 3.1 miles * FUN is a MUST!!
· Donations are accepted in lieu of an entry fee
· The course is marked, but NOT closed to traffic. Participants are responsible for their own safety and must obey traffic laws. HELMETS are essentially required on the bike.
DETAILS OF PICNIC :
Please come to cheer on the duathlon participants. Bring a covered dish item to share. Drinks and table setting will be provided. We will eat at about 12:00 pm following the duathlon. Volleyball, corn hole, etc. to follow.
TRADITION: This event was resurrected in 2005 following Steve’s death from Pancreatic Cancer. Steve and his family organized a triathlon very similar to this for several years in the 1980’s and early 90’s to encourage family and friends to have fun together, participate in friendly competition, and enjoy fitness. We decided to bring it back every year in his memory. The purpose remains to allow for friends and family to get together, engage in friendly competition, and remember Steve and the ideals which he passed along to all those he knew. We hope that in doing this, we will be able to raise money for PanCAN to aid research to stop this horrible disease, and for the Steve Speece Memorial Scholarship Fund to allow the students of Western Reserve High School to benefit from a scholarship in his memory.
**Pancreatic Cancer Facts:
· Pancreatic Cancer has a mortality rate of 95.8%, the deadliest of all leading cancers.
· Despite this fact, only 1.4% of cancer research dollars go towards Pancreatic Cancer
Source: American Cancer Society
**Please contact Andrea Speece at 330-538-3032 or firstname.lastname@example.org
to register or with questions**